5 cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Butter
1 1/2 cup Warm Water (105-115 degrees)
2 1/2 T Yeast
1 1/4 cups Milk
1/4 cup Sugar
1 beaten Eggs
- In a large bowl mix together flour and salt. Cut butter into 1/4 slices into the flour mixture. Cut mixture together with a pastry cutter or fork.
- In a large bowl whisk together water and yeast. Allow to sit until while preparing milk mixture.
- In a medium sauce pan warm milk and sugar until warm to the touch.
- Pour into milk mixture over yeast mixture and stir until well combine. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Add in beaten eggs and combined completely.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixtures and gently fold in the wet ingredients. Gentling continue folding until the dry ingredients are moist. You want the butter to remain in chunks to create the flaky pastry.
- Refrigerate for 4-12 hours.
- On a floured surface gently flatten the dough with your hands into a small square. Lightly flour over the top and roll out into a 15 inch long rectangle using a rolling pin. lightly flour and fold 1/3 of the dough over and then over again as if folding a letter to place in an envelope. Roll out into a 15 inch long rectangle and lightly flour and fold 1/3 of the dough over and then over again. Roll out into a 15 inch long rectangle and repeat again.
- Tightly wrap the tri-folded dough in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator of 30 minutes or more.
Cream Cheese Filling
2 – 8 oz Bricks of Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Sugar
1 Beaten Egg
1 tsp Vanilla
- Wisk together all ingredients until smooth.
You can choose to use Jam, Jelly, and/or Pie Filling
1/4 cup Milk
- Wisk together egg and milk to make an egg wash.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and divide in half. Put the half you are not working back in the refrigerator. Roll out into a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into squares or rectangles. Add filling and fold edges over decoratively.
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
Print Friendly File – Rustic Cream Cheese Pastry
So yummy it is
LikeLiked by 1 person